Board Topnotcher vs. "Just" a Board Passer

I am a board topnotcher myself, but it never really went in my head. What I don't understand is how not being a topnotcher gets in other people's heads...

The bar exams results are out and my old friend from high school days passed. Congratulations to him and to all the rest who did as well. I am not sure if he topped the bar exams, and if yes, then it's a good thing. But if not, then it does not matter in the long run actually.

Just to note, I have a friend who topped the board exam for Chemistry years ago, yet, sad but true, she still fell victim to the economic recession and job cuts in her company.

I just stumbled upon this article about bar exams and topnotchers (Bar Exam: Take It, Pass It and Move On - Carlo Osi). Basically his message is that he wants to tone down the celebration for topnotchers and just celebrate passing the bar exams as it is.

I somewhat agree; the bar exams is no joke and I know people (from schools in the province) who take it, and fail year after year. And I think passing any major exam, be it an entrance exam for a prestigious university, o
r a licensure exam, or an aptitude exam for future employment, is in itself a major achievement.

However, why does it matter to somebody that other people are celebrating for their own achievements? Is it classic crab mentality? Or envy of what other people have? Understanding this, I guess, requires a higher level of awareness that I do not have right now. I would like to think that my friends were genuinely happy for me when I celebrated my achievement years ago...

How about you guys? Tell me what you think about it.

6 comments:

Study in USA July 4, 2011 at 4:10 PM  

It's always nice when you can not only be informed, but also get knowledge, from these type of blog, nice entry. Thanks

Jay S October 25, 2011 at 5:39 AM  

when taking a board exam you must always aim to be a top-notcher. Kung pang topnotcher ang pangarap at kahandaan mo ang pinakaunfortunate na mangyayari lang sayo ay pumasa . Pero kung pang board passer lang ang kahandaan mo may chance ka pa ring bumagsak sa board

Anonymous,  December 28, 2011 at 9:59 AM  

People have different psychological make-up. They deal with being a topnotcher and a passer based on some set of defense mechanisms to hold on to their pride & sanity.

Anonymous,  January 5, 2012 at 8:09 PM  

past or failed it does't matter as long as you have a good attitude.at marunung dumiskarte sa buhay uunlad ka..license lang yan. sa mundong ito pera lng ang tumatakbo hndi lisensya nyo.

buzzerbeeser January 9, 2012 at 2:43 PM  

Anonymous. You may have a point. But people do not take the board exam just to fail right? If you do not think having a license is important to you, then you should not take the board exam in the first place.

rinnegan,  February 1, 2012 at 7:53 AM  

hahahaha....so true buzzerbeeser. Anyways i would aim to be a topnotcher to make my parents proud!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP